Saturday, March 6, 2010

Kyrgyz Eatin'

I've been in Malvern today and am about to go to bed, but had a few minutes before bed to answer a question that has been making me curious for quite some time: What do they eat in the Kyrgyz Republic?!

Well, here's the answer: Most dishes are meat based, and the primary meats consumed in the country are (drum roll please) horse and mutton. Typically they are served with mare-milk products, such as butter and soured creams. Horsemeat sausage and boiled meat/noodle dishes are regarded as common national dishes and favorites. Sometimes meats will be stir fried with onions, garlic, carrots, and a locally-grown rice. Steamed dumplings and a fried dumpling similar to samosas are also common. Foods tend to be spicy, oniony, garlicy, and vinegary. The Kyrgyz Republic is a tea culture. People drink mare's milk and camel's milk, too. The bread is either flatbread or a type of Russian-style bread.

I'm actually pretty excited to try all of this stuff. After arrival, my stomach's going to be on a roller coaster ride, I'm afriad.

No comments:

Post a Comment