I love being unemployed, because it means I have plenty of time to read. Although I will not be unemployed here in a few days, I still anticipate having plenty of time to read before I get myself socially established in the Kyrgyz Republic. Either way around, I recently finished two great books.
Cockroach by Rawi Hage. Frantic, driven, schizophrenic, sexy, and dirty. A cockroach that thinks he's a man, or a man that thinks he's a cockroach, takes on the crusty upperclass of a sick Candadian city. This brilliant work of truths-nested-in-fiction wrestles with concepts of greed, poverty, naivety, and filth within the context of the almost subhuman lower classes of the insane. Or, as it may be, the only real ones out there. Anyway, you should read it.
Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Relin. This non-fiction work tells the larger than life story of a taller than average dude who works to free impoverished children of their chains via education. Mortenson works in Afganistan and Pakistan to build balanced, well-rounded secular schools that educate both genders. I found the work inspiring and hopeful. What a hero!
Just a note: Mortenson's organization, the Central Asia Institute, recently received a $100,000 donation from Barack Obama. The source of the money? Obama's Nobel Prize cash, which he is donating in it's entirety to a slew of very very worthy organizations. Obama and Mortenson have won my heart.
Ok, and for the actual update. Nic and I are leaving in 9 days, and I am going through various stages of happy, excited, mellow, frantic, sad, worried, energetic, enthusiastic, etc, etc, you get the point. I'm running in circles and running in a straight line at the same time. I am busy packing, reading, and really, just tying to stay healthy and keep my bearings while I wait. My little brother got married, and it was a beautiful fairly religious ceremony in a methodist church. Him and his wife have side by side computers and play WOW together. Does it get much cuter than that?
Glad you made it. Hope your second day is going well. Did you sleep some last night? Take care.
ReplyDeleteGros bisous et bon voyage