Friday, November 6, 2009

I know it seems like I've been talking about nothing but peace corps lately, but really, other stuff has been going on. We had a great Halloween party here at the farm, and at some point in time I actually do plan on posting pictures. We mostly dressed up as animals here from the farm, or as personifications of animals. I was a goat.

Well, that was a quick diversion, now back to the peace corps thought!

As a direct consequence of the gear shifting resulting from my reassignment as an English teacher, I need to start re-gathering goods and supplies that I will need while overseas. The most important things: Professional looking cold weather gear and CLASSROOM SUPPLIES! I will more than likely be sorting out what I have and what I need here on this blog.

Which means that I will be spending the next couple of months hunting down the perfect english grammar book, the perfect russian-kyrgyz-etc dictionaries, and classroom sets of various books, short stories, and dictionaries for the purpose of assigning homework, having an english language book club, and stocking a small library to refer to as I tutor, teach, and get taught. Now, most of these things I will more than likely just carry with me, but some things, like the sets of books (omfg, I will finally get my chance to teach about the Diary of Anne Frank, lord knows I've read it enough times). I will be teaching a wide range of ages, but I would prefer to stick to young adult literature or even children's literature just because I know I learned German better via children's lit and young adult's literature.... but we'll see how the collecting goes. Luckily, many paperback classics and children's books are available and thrift stores and yard sales for extremely low prices, and I won't have to feel guilty about leaving them in the Kyrgyz Republic because I know 1)that they will probably get used and 2) that they weren't a huge financial investment. If all else fails, I can always order ten copies of a good man is hard to find from Dover....

Oh well. Any suggestions for teaching guides, materials, textbooks, or books that I could obtain multiple copies of for the purpose of teaching with?

Thanks folks!

Ivy R.

2 comments:

  1. I know you don't know alison boland very well but you might ask her about supplies. she's taught english a couple of places, and is currently doing it for the peace corps in mongolia.
    she's at:
    lisonay@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell me what age group you're teaching again? A friend of mine created an ESL program from scratch in a Taiwanese village, but he was working with early grade school kids, so I'm not sure how useful that would be.

    ReplyDelete