Well, folks, though this farm livin' occupies alot of time, I, fortunately, have been able to spent tons of time reading books that I've been meaning to read for some time. Here are my reviews and recommendations, each meant to occupy a mere 38 seconds of your time (or less).
House of Leaves:
Mark Danielewski's, Ivy Renfro's, or Johnny Truant's. Crazy blind guy writes book about movie that doesn't exist with gorgeous mental visuals. Buy a used copy and write in it. Or draw in the blank spots.
Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man by Fannie Flag: Little girl moves to city of weird-os, works in a diner with the eccentric fam. Taxidermy in Mississippi, homosexuality, and high school popularity. I loved it, and you will too.
Fried Green Tomatoes by Fannie Flag: Lots of stuff going on during the Great Depression, today, and all of the times in between. Non-traditional family in Alabama cooks fried food and feeds government food to railroad-centered shantytowns of sorts. Old women, fat women, angry women. Read it.
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen: Polish kid joins the circus. Three people dead before the book even really starts. Super entertaining. Rent it from the library, but don't buy it.
The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien: Well, what do you know, it really is a love story! I was a trainwreck after reading this. Borrow it from an English major, as any studious one is bound to have at least ten copies.
The Best American Short Stories 2005 by Lots of People: Eh. A lot of crap with some gems. Inspiring in the sense that it makes you believe that you, too, can write. A lot of rabbits. Steal it blatantly. Would anyone stop you?
I love being out of college because it means that I have time to read things that aren't school related. It feels GREAT.
In the process (reviews coming soon!): Middlesex, The Good Earth, Onion John, What The Songs Look Like
Also, WATCH THIS VIDEO : Please?
Kermit rocks! I wish he did a cover of "And She Was" :)
ReplyDelete