Thursday, August 27, 2009

Settling in

Nic and I are currently on day 2 of our work at Overlook Farm. Yesterday, we learned the animals at the farm, did some feeding chores, and learned how to milk the goats! On our first day, we were already milking. It felt great! At the end of the day some of the girls that live in our house took us around Rutland and to a grocery store. A cool girl that works here named Farmer Jo dropped off a bag of produce which contained a zucchini about a foot and a half long. I think I will try to cook it soon. Here's the food situation: Breakfast we are on our own for, but typically the cafeteria overcooks for lunch and dinner, so we get the leftovers from the cooking. It's awesome stuff. Last night, I had grilled cheese, vegetable stew, and kale + mashed potatoes. Sometimes there are communal dinners, sometimes not.
Today Nic and I worked in the global village kitchen. The global village here is quite a bit different, with regions such as Colonias (small Mexican colonies in Texas) and Poland represented. After we got done in the global village kitchen, we went to work in the huge garden, where we met the awesome gardener and spent some time working with her. The gardener loves to make food from scratch, which is great- she is a bread baker and was a vegan as well, so she knows alot about substitutions in baking, which I always had trouble with as a vegetarian that preferred not to cook with milk. The more people we meet the more excited I get. I also got my name tag today.
The work is a good, exhausting, dirty type of work. We don't get our staff shirts until Monday, but I can handle that- in the meantime, my clothes are browner than they were before. Nic ended up taking a short nap during lunch, and I know for sure I am going to sleep well tonight.
And we did finally get our writing addresses, so if you want to write to either Nic or I, drop me an email/facebook message and I will send you our address. Here are some of the pictures I promised last post!


This is our house, Camel Lot, and the big rock that is in front of it.

This is the big red chicken house. Notice all the different varieties of chickens there are in this field. There is also a winter-chicken named Snowball that is covered in fuzz, even his feet. It's pretty cute.

The beautiful ferns that surround the farm and fill up the woods.

This is from the inside of a hut made of vines that is located in the Global Village.

And here is a picture from the outside of the same hut.
Well, that's it for now. Take care all!

No comments:

Post a Comment