Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Haiti

I am so incredibly depressed and sad over the earthquake in Haiti. The death, pain, and agony the country is enduring is so painful; I could not even begin to imagine what it feels like to have lost a family member to this horrible disaster. If someone without a religion can pray, then I am doing it. This event makes me feel guilty for I am able to blog and sleep comfortably tonight while others are dying under rubble, and I can do nothing about it. I feel quite powerless; I wish I had the qualifications [and the money] to get on a jet plane and start assisting people. Every major event that results in a dire need for medical attention is inspirational in a sick way; I need to learn how to provide emergency medical care and I need to learn how to get to where it is needed most. I feel like I was born to serve this world, and when I am stuck in a position of helplessness (i.e., I feel unable to help), it sends me into a combination of sadness and intensely motivated. Give me a few years, world. After the Peace Corps, after several years of full time volunteering, and after a few more years of school...I will put on the shoes that I've been waiting for for some time now. And these shoes won't come from TJMaxx.

No comments:

Post a Comment