Monday, September 28, 2009

Hey ya'll! My computer ended up getting completely destroyed by this virus, so I have lost everything...all of my files, music, photos..long story short, I haven't used my computer in a few days because everything is erased..it really sucks! I have taken a few pictures to put up here, but I've been so nervous about putting them back on my computer...oi, vey. I think I got the virus from the network here, but I am not sure...either way around, sorry for the lack of posts.

This weekend is the long-awaited Harvest festival. To prepare, I have been working on my garden hella alot in the Appalachia site along side fellow volunteers Jason, Maggie, and Nic, who have been extremely helpful. The garden and site look great, and I will post pictures up here in a few days when it is all decked out in Harvest festival apparel. My garden looks wonderful, and the entire site is pretty clean. I will be doing pumpkin seed roasting in Appalachia and eventually Fufu making in the Ghana site.

Nic and I have really come to love it here. The fall is gorgeous, and I have been pressing the prettiest maple leaves that I have found to mail out to a couple of friends and family members. I have never seen such a slow, gorgeous transition from green to red.

Nic and I have contacted Peace Corps and his medical deferment has been lifted; we have decided that we would like to stay here during the spring season while we wait to be placed. I am interested in a Farmer Chef position. As a Farmer Chef, I would be a part time chef and a part time farmer/gardener. I will learn about organic cooking, canning, and various methods of food prep, and also learn about large-scale gardening. The prospect of staying through the spring is extremely exciting. I can't wait until things are a bit more concrete.

Quote for the day about Heifer: "Only poor people work here," from a student that apparently wasn't getting the Heifer message. This statement is completely false- people from all types of incomes, backgrounds, and places work at Heifer. Oh well. Can't win em all.

No comments:

Post a Comment